Monday, July 20, 2009

Los Angeles: Thursday, June 18 (Part 2)

Today Mom, the kids and I took a trip to the Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits.


It is in West LA on Wilshire Blvd; an area known as The Miracle Mile. The architecture for the area is campy and beautiful. The radiant khaki “art-deco” structures crowned with palm trees reminded me of a sort of 1950s magical Los Angeles where the city gleamed of possibility and progress and anybody could make it big in show biz if they tried. A real Hollywood shine!


As for the museum, just pulling into the parking lot sparked a trip down memory lane. It was full of old elementary school field trips and the (now extinct) La Brea Halloween Festival where I had rolled down the grassy hills so much that I became nauseous and puked…..much to my Ma’s dismay.

Boy, what a bunch of laughs.


Our tour of the museum made new memories. Amy just had to explore every exhibit, but she chose the animatronic mammoth and the dire wolf displays as her favorites. (AH-WOOOOO!!!)


As for Vince, he’s never been big into museums. But he did enjoy the fact that Grandma wasn’t a big museum mover either, so the two would find a bench to cuddle up on in every new area while I chased after Amy. Good times.


After the tour, we ambled over to La Brea Park to look at some of the ongoing digs and take in a shady resting place. Can you believe that there was a tree in that park that I had climbed when I was ten? Now it’s twenty five years later and my children are climbing that very same tree. (And me too, for old time’s sake.)

The tree climbing was a perfect end to our La Brea experience.


We hopped into the car and drove past the LA Farmer’s Market, The Grove mall and all the frou-frou country clubs of West LA. We even saw a movie shoot in progress!

What a busy and wonderful day.

Good night, LA.

Miss you, Baby.

No comments: