Sunday, June 24, 2007

Grand Junction, Colorado 6-16-07

The next day, Vince, Grandma and I spent the whole morning at the Monument.
Going in through the Fruita Entrance, we bought our patch and magnet at the Visitor's Center and then proceeded to drive the scenic park road to Devil's Kitchen trailhead for our hike. It was very enjoyable considering the heat....and Vincent's car sickness. (BAAAAARF!)
Our first stop along the road were the Coke ovens. Thousands of years of rain and wind turned these rocks into squat, fat formations that looked like ovens.
Check it out!





This picture really doesn't do justice to the magnificence of the formations. As for Vince, he was still jazzed to spend time with Granny.






After the Coke Ovens, we traveled to some of the other overlooks in the park.
This one's from an overlook called "Cold Shivers."






And this one was taken at the Ute Canyon overlook.
They were all absolutely gorgeous.







Noticed Vince's clothes have changed? Yeah, this pic was taken "post-yack."
The only bad part about the trip was that it was hotter than Hell when we got to the trailhead. But even though it was hot and he'd left his breakfast along the road, Vince still wanted to hike. What a trooper.



Even though Devil's Kitchen was our shortest hike, I still think it was the hardest. The heat, dust and bugs combined to make a hard trip. Thankfully, I had learned my lessons from Antelope Island. Sunblock, bug spray and water for everyone!





Vince has become fond of crawling into nooks and crannies in the rock. That's him taking a water break.







Devil's Kitchen is a really unusual rock formation. It's essentially a large horseshoe-shaped alcove of towering sandstone with walls on three sides. It's also has plenty of shade, making it a great place for lunch!





My other fellow hikers agreed! Incidentally, that crack between Vince and Grandma led to a hundred-foot drop to the canyon floor.






Once we were done eating, we busted out the cameras and started making memories. Here's me and Grandma's finger on top of the large boulder situated in the alcove.






Here's a picture of the balanced rock near the opening of Devil's Kitchen.







This crack went down some slickrock and back onto the trail. It eventually served as our exit from DK.







That boulder that I was sitting on had tons of little holes carved in it. Vince couldn't help but explore them all!







DK was the perfect little hideaway from the hot desert sun. Unfortunately, things started to get hotter as the sun rose. That gave us plenty of incentive to get back on the trail.






DK was a lot of fun for Vince and Cheryl. I think they really learned a lot about each other.
Hopefully, she'll want to hike with us again!






Going back to the Hotel meant getting in the pool.
How could I refuse?







Once we finally cleaned up, it was time for us to go meet the train for our trip back to Old Salty.
It was late as usual, but it went by a lot faster.
The biggest treat for me was getting Vince to fall asleep in a bunk on our way home. I thought he'd be too wound up because we were on the train. But in the end, fatigue won out!



I love spending time with my son.
I love the challenge he gives me in helping him mitigate the world around him. Most of all, I love the affection he rewards me with when we do something enjoyable.

This trip was an incredible adventure for both of us. And while he might not remember every detail of our voyage, I know that I'll never forget the smiles and laughter he gives thanks to my efforts.
That's what I call incentive.

No comments: