Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gearing up for L.A.

Well...I'm packing my stuff for our trip to Los Angeles, my awesome home town. Sadly, I'm a little nervous about what I'll see when I get there.

If you've been keeping up with my updates (you dutiful readers, you), you'd know that my siblings have been dropping rather fearful hints about the health of my Dad.

I'm hoping that much of their foreboding has been due to lost context on my part or theatrics on theirs. But my "Spidey Sense" is saying otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm not expecting a palliative and bedridden couple on the edge of transcendence. They would've never agreed to let us visit if that was the case. But I am worried that I'll find an old bickering pair of gaffers who'll try to leverage our company against each other. Yeah, they've been married that long.

Is this a problem? Nah. I'd like to think that I wouldn't let junk like that bother me. Still, it's a little tough to see these two cardinal figures of my life slowing down. I mean, my Mom's always been able to care for us and give counsel; even after surviving cancer. And my Dad? Well, my old man has done his best to stay busy in the wake of a forced retirement. I think they're both worried about stagnating.

It's not all that bad. My parents are finding their own ways to cope with getting old.
My Ma continues to feed her wanderlust by traveling and visiting her relatives whenever her schedule allows. I think she'd go nuts if she couldn't travel.

As for my Dad, he's undergone an academic renaissance that pushes him to read every book he can get his hands on. I think it enriches him.

Heck, I can't wait to show both of them the Internet.

Anyhow, the wilas and I are on our way to smoggy LA. I'll be sure to make some posts from there to report on how the trip's going. If not on my blog, I'll be sure to drop a note or three on Twitter. My updates post automatically on the upper left hand corner of my blog. It's under the title "Twitterin' Tom." (Provided I can get a reliable connection from somewhere. Hopefully, my folks have a neighbor with an unsecure wireless modem! >:)

OK, here we go!




Wait. What about Lisa?

She'll be alone here in SLC for the next week.
While I'm certain she'll miss us, I bet she'll be catching up on some desperately needed rest and relaxation. Play some video games, Baby. You've earned it!

No comments: