Sunday, April 12, 2009

And then there was one...(Grad School Update)


ALEA IACTA EST.

I've accepted a graduate position with the University of Utah's Geography Department as a Masters Student.

Why? The answer is pretty simple.

Here are the results for all the grad apps I sent out:

Princeton: Gave me the "nah."

UNC: Also gave me the "nah."

Texas A&M: Has placed me on a wait-list. (No $)

Geogretown: Accepted me, but did not offer any $. Not one single dime. :-(

Utah Poli-Sci: (My home department) Accepted, but without financial aid. C'mon guys. :-(

Utah Geography: Accepted...with a tuition waiver...and a TA job...and a $5500 scholarship to boot. (That they recommended me for! Is that love or what?)

It's easy to say that I sided with the money.
But the fact is, the vibe that I get from the staff and faculty in that department is one of faith, belonging and encouragement. From the Admin Staff all the way to the Department Head, there is one message that resonates throughout the office:

"Tom, we want you to stay."

I didn't choose Geography at first, but it looks like Geography chose me.

Somewhere, Paul Torrens is laughing.

.

No comments: