Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Moab Trip 5-27-07 (Delicate Arch Hike)

(I took so many pictures on the 27th, I had to make this post in two parts.)
On Sunday, Kevin and Lis' motored the two valiant explorers to their next expedition, the Delicate Arch. Even though this hike was shorter than the Devil's Garden romp, I was a bit more worried because of all the terrain issues...namely changes in elevation and a substantial lack of shade. It didn't matter. Once we got to the trailhead, Squirt was ready to go.
We got to the trailhead a little before 0900. There were some hikers getting an early start. But for the most part, the crowds were pretty thin.






Right off the bat, we took some time to explore the Wolfe Ranch buildings. Vince really enjoyed exploring the root cellar.
(...at least, I think it was a root cellar.)






Farther on down the trail came our first big obstacle. No foolin, this was a solid slab of slickrock that acted as a 38 degree ramp up to the top of the mesa. I'm not too sure how long it was. But from the bottom it looked like one long climb.
Here, Vince took a quick deep breath before beginning the long schlep up the hill.



Half way up, Kimosabe and I decided to take a break. I don't know if it's because of my Army days or my Search & Rescue training, but I'm particularly paranoid about the equipment we bring on hikes. Squirt and I pack every possible piece of gear we might need for unknown hikes. I wish I could say the same for some of the other park patrons out there. They were dying right about this point. Betcha' wish you brought some water now, eh buddy?


For the most part, the trail was a flat and easy meander across the top of the mesa. The only hook we ran into was that a bunch of us got disoriented when some college jackasses thought it'd be funny to move the cairns in a wrong direction.
Anyhow, the part of the trail that lead to the arch was a four-foot ledge that wrapped around a fin. Vince took it in his usual stride, paying close attention and obeying my instructions. That's my boy!

VICTORY!!!
Once we finally made it to the arch, I took this picture right at the edge of the "bowl" that surrounds it. I think Vince was really impressed with the Delicate Arch. Whether because of all the fuss I made or the fact that everyone else was "oo"-ing and "ah"-ing, he kept pointing at it and saying "Lookitthat!" in his usual cute manner.


The arch was the perfect place for us to take in our snack. It was PB&J with a view!







Shade was a pretty rare commodity at the Delicate Arch. Luckily, a couple of gals offered us this spot when they saw us looking for a place to sit. Vince's boyish charm strikes again!






Once we were done eating, Vince and I got on with the photo ops.
One of our trail-buddies offered to take this picture of us before they began walking back. I think they were inspired to see Vince out there making it happen in spite of his disability. Yeah, I'm lucky enough to be the Proud Papa.




Delicate Arch is big. Damn big. I sat Vince on this small ledge to help gain some perspective on its size. He was such a good boy, diligently putting up with being posed for photos.






Here's a shot of the bowl that surrounds the arch. Vince is standing on the western base, facing South. What did I tell you? Damn big.






Once we had our fill, Squirt and I began our long trip back. Let me tell you, that slickrock incline was a welcomed sight when you're going downhill. And the view of the valley is gorgeous!






Vince had a great time during our hike. But I think his biggest reward was seeing Grandpa at the trailhead waiting for us!


No comments: